Thursday, October 23

Love Wants Touches

This morning I read an article written by Chris Haynes for the Cleveland Plain Dealer. 

The title made reference to the Cleveland Cavaliers newly acquired power forward Kevin Love stating that he needs more touches to get his game going. 

Certainly Love had what most of his fans would deem a slow start to the pre-season, before coming on with bigger numbers over his last two games.

The interesting part about this is - many analysts within the basketball community have wondered for months - how would Kyrie Irving, Lebron James,  Love and the big ball stopper, Dion Waiters manage to share the rock?

Four men who are all used to getting the lion's share of the work on the offensive end.  In Waiter's case, he did it regardless of what his coaches or teammates wanted him to do. 

When LeBron formed the unholy alliance in Miami, they struggled until Wade and Bosh agreed to subvert their own needs in favor of James - allowing him to take the majority of the big shots. 

A month or so ago, Chris Bosh gave an interview where he spoke about Kevin Love going from Minnesota to being LeBron's teammate, and referencing how hard it will be for Love emotionally when his statistics start taking a major hit.

Well, the complaining has started - in preseason. 

Perhaps this is just the team's early growing pains, and things will iron themselves out - but it's hard to imagine both Love and Irving willingly giving up open looks to get LeBron an even better one.

In the article, Love also referenced changes to his game that he knows he will have to make this season.  I found this intriguing, so I read on.  Much to my chagrin, the changes he referenced are on the offensive side of the ball.

"Yeah, the offense is built that way but I just have to make a conscious decision to get myself in there," Love said. "There are a lot of times where I just find myself fading to the three-point line. For me, it's a mentality and that's easy to fix.

"We've been putting in stuff like different pin-downs, cut-across and cross-screens to get me open in there. You'll see a lot more of that during the season. That's always how I played and I know that coach wants me to play that way, as well."


Does this dude care about anything more than filling up the box scores?

I was hoping to hear (even if it was just lip service) "I know that I have to be better on the defensive end - keep my man in front of my and rotate quicker to provide help and protect our rim".

Instead, he's worried about where he's getting his touches.

There has been a lot written this off season about Kyrie Irving's maturation process and the growth he experienced as part of Team USA.

What of Love's maturation?  His desire to get the ball in the spots he wants above and beyond everything else is disappointing. 

Here's hoping that after a few more bigs blow by him on the way to an uncontested dunk, LeBron will give him enough hell that he'll have an epiphany.

Stop ball - win games.
No stop ball - lose games.

Simple as that Big Kev.